Context: Amid the coronavirus outbreak, the Indian Airforce has inducted the Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT).
- It is an indigenous airborne rescue pod which is designed and developed by Indian Airforce.
- It will be utilised for evacuation of critical patients with infectious diseases including COVID-19 from high altitude area, isolated and remote places.
- It has been developed as a lightweight isolation system made from aviation certified material.
- It has a transparent and durable cast Perspex for enhanced patient visibility which is larger, higher and wider than the existing models.
- It generates high constant negative pressure in the isolation chamber for prevention of infection risk to aircrew, ground crew and health care workers involved in air transportation.
- It utilises High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) H-13 class filters and supports invasive ventilation using Transport Ventilator.