Why in News?
A homoeopathic drug Arsenicum album 30, has become a subject of debate after several states recommended it for preventive use against Covid-19.
- The Ministry of AYUSH has listed the drug among preventive and prophylactic simple remedies against Covid-19.
- The debate stems from the fact that there is no scientific evidence that the drug works against Covid-19, a fact stressed not only by medical scientists but also by some homoeopathic practitioners themselves.
- Arsenicum album 30 has been recommended by the state governments in Rajasthan, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
- The civic authorities in various states have been distributing the drug to high-risk populations.
- There have been reports about people flocking to homeopathic clinics to buy Arsenicum album drug, sometimes at triple the cost.
About the drug:
- Arsenicum album is made by heating arsenic with distilled water, a process repeated several times over three days.
- The health hazards of arsenic contamination in water are well known; long-term exposure to the metal can cause skin cancer, pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases.
- The homoeopathic drug has less than 1% arsenic and is considered to correct inflammation in the body. It takes care of diarrhoea, cough and cold.
- It is is used commonly by homeopaths to treat anxiety, restlessness, cold, ulcerations, burning pains.