Context: Recently, The oil-rich United Arab Emirates has announced the start-up of its Barakah nuclear power plant.
- It is the Arab world’s first nuclear plant.
- UAE first nuclear reactor at the Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant has achieved first criticality and successfully started up.
- Barakah, which means “blessing” in Arabic, is a regional first.
- Barakah was built by a consortium led by the Korea Electric Power Corporation at a cost of some $24.4 billion.
- It is located near the border with Saudi Arabia on the Emirates coast, separated from Iran by troubled Gulf waters.