Context: Recently Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan to boost employment and livelihood opportunities for migrant workers returning to villages, in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak.
About Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
- It is a massive rural public works scheme which to provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workersand rural citizens.
- Under this Skill Mapping of the rural migrant labour being done to help them work closer home
- Rs 50,000 Crores would be spent for building durable rural infrastructure under the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan.
- It will be implemented in a mission mode campaign in 125 days in 116 Districts of 6 States i.e. Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha.
- It will be launched vertically from Telihar Village in Khagaria District of Bihar.
- It will be operationalized through the Common Service Centres and Krishi Vigyan Kendras in the districts.
- It is being introduced through the coordinated effort of 12 different Ministries and Departments namely Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Road Transport & Highways, Mines, Drinking Water & Sanitation, Environment, Railways, Petroleum & Natural Gas, New & Renewable Energy, Border Roads, Telecom and Agriculture.