Context: Recently, India, Bhutan sign 600 MW Kholongchhu hydroelectric project agreement
About Kholongchhu Hydroelectric Project
- This river project is located on the lower course of the Kholongchhu River in Trashiyangtse District in Eastern Bhutan.
- It is the first-ever joint venture project to be implemented in Bhutan.
- The joint venture partners of the project are India’s Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL) and Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corporation Limited (DGPC).
- It is one of four additional projects agreed to in 2008, as a part of India’s commitment to helping Bhutan create a total 10,000 MW of installed capacity by 2020.
- The project will be constructed as a 50:50 joint venture and expected to be completed in the second half of 2025.