Context: Recently, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has saluted doctors who are at the forefront of a spirited fight against COVID-19 on the occasion of National Doctor’s Day.
About National Doctor’s Day
- It is celebrated in the memory of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, a former Chief Minister of West Bengal and a well-known physician.
- It is celebrated on July 1st every year and doctors across the country are honoured for their relentless service.
- It is a tribute to all medical and healthcare professionals who have attended to patients and did their bit for the society irrespective of all odds.
- In 1991, India started celebrating the National Doctor’s Day in honour of Dr Roy, who was honoured with the country’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna.
- It is traditionally organised in the country by the Indian Medical Association (IMA).
- The theme for National Doctor’s Day 2020 is “lessen the mortality of COVID-19”, including “awareness about asymptomatic hypoxia and early aggressive therapy”.
Source: The Indian Express