Context: Recently, the Union Minister of Environment has launched piloting of the National Transit Pass System.
About National Transit Pass System
- The National Pass System enhances seamless movement of forest produce.
- It is an initiative under Digital India Movement.
- The pilot project will be functional in Madhya Pradesh and Telangana.
- It will make the process of getting permits faster and without physically going to get the pass.
- It will bring ease of business and expedite issuance of transit permits for timber, bamboo and other minor forest produce without physically going to forest offices.
- It will replace manual paper-based transit system by online transit system.
- It will bring in one permit for whole India for transit of timber, bamboo and other minor forest produce for ease of doing business.
- A species exempted in one state, may not be exempted in other states and transit of such species in another state requires transit pass.
- It is a role-based and work-flow based application available on computers and mobile devices.