- Post-Pulwama attack, though there had been negligible import directly from Pakistan, onions and dry fruits.
- It was still being imported from Afghanistan.
- 70-80 trucks of onions from Afghanistan used to come regularly from the wholesale market of Kabul. The onion import played a vital role in tackling the scarcity due to heavy rain in MP, Maharashtra and southern states.
- Reason for shortfall
- Another reason was the shortage of labour as most of the workers were unable to join duty due to inclement weather conditions. The unloading pace too was sluggish.
- In the absence of an automated truck scanner, the checking of goods is done manually, which is a time- consuming exercise and trucks remain stranded.
Thank you for visiting https://civilsnotebook.com and Join Civils Notebook Punjab PCS 2020 Mock Test Series