Context: Recently, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has extended Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana till the end of November 2020.
About PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
- It aims at ensuring sufficient food the poor and needy during the coronavirus crisis.
- It covered 80 crore poor individuals i.e. roughly two-thirds of India’s population.
- 5 kg of foodgrains (rice or wheat) and 1 kg of channa Will be provided to each household will free of cost.
- Under the scheme, the food needs to be provided to all the beneficiaries under public distribution system (TPDS) for Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY)and priority household (PHH) ration cardholders.
- It is considered as world’s largest food security scheme.