The Punjab government has deferred its plan to start distribution of free smart phones on the Republic Day as the government is awaiting certification of mobile apps, including Punjab mSewa, a unified mobile application, that are to be uploaded on the smartphones before distribution
About the scheme:
- Distribution of free smartphones, including Punjab mSewa, a unified mobile application, that are to be uploaded on the smartphones.
- In the first phase of ‘Captain Smart Connect Scheme,’ the government will distribute 1.6 lakh free smartphones among girls, studying in senior secondary classes in government schools.
Features of the scheme:
- Better communication facilities– Till date, many people don’t have smartphones. With the implementation of this scheme, eligible applicants will attain free smartphones from the Punjab government.
- Implementation in phases – The scheme was originally announced in 2016. It took the state around two years to finally implement the scheme. To ensure that eligible applicants get the benefits, the scheme will be rolled out in separate phases.
- Talk time – The free smartphone also comes with free talk time. Any beneficiary will be able to talk on any other local number for 600 minutes. Once they finish this talk time, they must recharge to get more talk time.
- Internet package – All selected applicants will be able to attain an internet data pack of 12 GB. This will come in handy when they desire to search the internet to attain any information.
- The validity of the connection – As per the details, highlighted in the draft, all the connection, offered under this project, will remain active for one year. After this, applicants will have to pay a certain sum to keep the connection active.
- Targeted towards the youngsters – The main aspect of this project is that it targets the needs and betterment of the youngsters. If the state government succeeds in offer better facilities to the youngsters, then they will play an important role in the development of the overall society.
- The total number of beneficiaries– It has been estimated that with this project, the Punjab government will be able to offer free smartphones to as many as 50 lakh young people of the area.
- Inviting tenders – The state authority, with the assistance of the Punjab Information & Communication Technology Corporation, has also released tender invitations. The officials are hopeful that competent telecom companies will associate themselves with this project within two months.
Eligibility for registration:
- For residents of Punjab only: It is only open for the legal residents of the state. If an applicant does not possess his/her residential certificate, his/her registration form will be dismissed.
- Educational qualification: The scheme is for school and college students. Apart from this, pupils, studying in technical academies will also get this free smartphone. School and college admission papers and final examination mark sheets will be required for checking the authenticity.
- Personal ID proof: Applicants will also have to submit their personal identification papers. Copies of Aadhar or voter card will be considered by the registration offices.
- Punjab CM announced the 400th birth anniversary of Guru Teg Bahadur Ji would be celebrated in 2021. The 399th birth anniversary mega event associated with Guruji would be held at the Historic town of Baba Bakala.
Thank you for visiting https://civilsnotebook.com and Join Civils Notebook Punjab PCS 2020 Mock Test Series