Context: Urban Local Bodies would impose cow cess on a few items.
More about news
- 52 out of 167 ULBs in Punjab are in the process of imposing cow cess on different items.
- Cow cess is used for the welfare of the stray cattle in cattle pounds.
- Out of ₹ 34 crores collected by the Local Bodies since 2016, only ₹ 30 crores have been used.
- The 510 privately run Gaushalas in the state are having 3.84 lakhs cattle.
- Whereas the state ones have slightly less than 10000.
- Cess on some items
- ₹ 10 – Indian made foreign liquor bottle.
- ₹5 – Punjab made liquor and beer.
- ₹ 1000 per function at AC marriage palace.
- ₹ 500 for non AC marriage palace.
- ₹ 100 on oil tanker per round.
- ₹ 1 per cement bag.
- ₹ 1000 and ₹ 200 on sale of 4 – wheeler and 2 – wheelers, respectively.
- 2 paise per unit of Electricity.
- Article 48 of Indian Constitution: The state shall endeavour to organize agriculture and animal husbandry on modern and scientific lines and shall, in particular, take steps for preserving improving the breed, and prohibiting the slaughter, of cows and calves and other milch and draught cattle.