Context: Recently, The Supreme Court has appointed Justice Madan B Lokur (retd) as a one-man committee to monitor the measures taken by the states of Punjab, Haryana, UP and Delhi to prevent farmers from resorting to stubble burning
More about News
- Committee will visit affected states and submit fortnightly reports to the Supreme Court.
- Justice Madan B Lokur will be assisted by all state governments (Punjab, Haryana, UP and Delhi)
- Supreme Court also directed chief secretaries of Punjab, Haryana, UP and Delhi and the Environment Pollution (Prevention & Control) Authority (EPCA) to assist the committee in physical surveillance of fields.
- They are also directed to devise additional methods for preventing it.
- Every year stubble burning turns the entire NCR into a virtual gas chamber during October-November
- In 2019, 9.8 mn tonne paddy residue in Punjab and 1.23 mn tonne paddy residue in Haryana was burnt by farmers.
Thank you for visiting https://civilsnotebook.com and Join Civils Notebook Mock Test Series