Context: The agricultural department rolled out battery-operated handheld machines for picking up the cotton in 3 districts.
More about news:
- The machinery would be rolled out in Muktsar, Bathinda and Mansa districts.
- The benefits of the machine are: The machine would cut labour costs and human drudgery.
- The input costs incurred on cotton picking would also get cut.
- The speed of cotton picking increases.
- The quantity of trash generated during cotton harvesting also reduced from 3 to 5 per cent to only 1 percent.
- The machine costs ₹ 7000, which can be made available to the prospective farmers through the Cooperative system.
- Renting of machinery could also be done.
- Businesses through corporate social responsibility can also contribute in this regard.