Context: Ropar farmers are cultivating strawberries and earning a good income out of them. Farmers are getting more than ₹3 lakhs of profit from one acre of crop.
About Strawberry Crop:
- The Strawberry crop is sown in October.
- Its plucking starts in mid – January and goes till mid-may.
- Strawberries are rich in Niacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin C etc.( They are a rich source of micronutrients).
Conditions for farming
- These are temperate crops, even though they can be grown in subtropical conditions.
- They need 8 to 12 hours of sunlight for around 10 days.
- Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani in Maharashtra account for a great chunk of Strawberry production.
- In big cities such as Jalandhar and Chandigarh, they are in high demand and also in high-end hotels, they are supplied.
- Other exotic fruits such as Dragonfruit and Avocado also have a great scope as far as Agricultural diversification in Punjab is concerned.
Thank you for visiting https://civilsnotebook.com and Join Civils Notebook Punjab PCS 2020 Mock Test Series