Context: Monitor crop regularly to prevent yellow rust, scientists tell Punjab farmers.
- During the current Rabi season, scientists of Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), Ludhiana, are surveying wheat crop as per the past practice for the early detection of yellow rust in the sub- mountainous districts of the state.
About Yellow rust:
- It is a fungal disease which attacks the leaves of wheat crop by forming yellow stripes and affects their photosynthesis that causes shrivelling of grain size.
- Yellow rust is a disease of cool weather in the northern hills and north-western plains zone.
- Rains in the parts of Punjab and Haryana coupled with a slight increase in the temperature and humid conditions are favorable for yellow rust.
- Wheat yellow rust (Puccinia striiformis) is currently the most damaging disease of wheat on the global scale. Under suitable conditions, yield losses of 60% or more are possible.
- The disease is airborne and favourable weather conditions for the infection, development and spread of the disease were prevailing.
Conditions for wheat cultivation:
- Well-drained fertile loamy and clayey loamy (Ganga-Satluj plains and black soil region of the Deccan) soil is ideal.
- The ideal temperature would be Between 10-15°C (Sowing time) and 21-26°C (Ripening & Harvesting) with bright sunlight.
- Top Wheat Producing States are Uttar Pradesh > Punjab > Madhya Pradesh > Haryana > Rajasthan.
- It is a rabi crop, is sown between late October till December while the harvesting of the crop starts from April onwards.
- India is the second-largest producer after China.
- The disease appears in the fields; spray the infected areas with recommended fungicides, such as Nativo 120g or Caviet 200g or Tilt/Shine/Bumper/Stilt/Compass/Markzole 200 ml in 200 litres of water will prevent the spread of disease in other areas.
Thank you for visiting https://civilsnotebook.com and Join Civils Notebook Punjab PCS 2020 Mock Test Series