Context: Recently, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra in New Delhi on the occasion of 78th anniversary of Quit India Movement.
About Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra
- It is an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission, at the Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti at Rajghat.
- It was first announced in 2017 as tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of the centenary celebrations of Champaran Satyagraha.
Significance of Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra
- It has a balanced mix of digital and outdoor installations tracking India’s transformation from having over 50 crore people defecating in the open in 2014 to becoming open defecation free in 2019.
- It is a tribute of 130 crore Indians towards Mahatma Gandhi’s Swachhagraha.
- It holds Gandhiji’s ideas of swachhagraha or cleanliness and the immense determination of the Indians dedicated to the same idea into one single place.
- It is a dynamic experience centre to actively engage with citizens to impart information, awareness, and education around Swachhata.