Why in news?
Amid the economic slowdown due to coronavirus outbreak and nationwide lockdown, the President of India has promulgated the following Ordinances with the aim of giving a boost to rural India for farmers engaged in agriculture and allied activities.
The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion & Facilitation) Ordinance 2020
- It will provide for the creation of an ecosystem where the farmers and traders enjoy the freedom of choice relating to sale and purchase of farmers’ produce which facilitates remunerative prices through competitive alternative trading channels.
- It will promote efficient, transparent and barrier-free inter–State and intra-State trade and commerce of farmers’ produce outside the physical premises of markets or deemed markets notified under various State agricultural produce market legislations.
- It will provide a facilitative framework for electronic trading and matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance 2020
- It will provide for a national framework on farming agreements.
- It protects and empowers farmers to engage with agri- business firms, processors, wholesalers, exporters or large retailers for farm services and sale of future farming produce at a mutually agreed remunerative price framework in a fair and transparent manner and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- It will enable barrier-free trade in agriculture produce and also empower the farmers to engage with sponsors of his choice.