The Eighth Edition of the annual Indian Navy and Sri Lanka Navy called SLINEX scheduled off in Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.
- It is a bilateral maritime exercise SLINEX-20 between the Indian Navy and Sri Lanka Navy.
- The Sri Lanka Navy will be represented by SLN Ships Sayura (Offshore Patrol Vessel) and Gajabahu (Training Ship).
- The Indian Navy will be represented by ASW corvettes Kamorta and Kiltan.
- The Indian Navy Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and Chetak helicopter embarked onboard IN ships and Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft will also be participating.
- Objective: To enhance interoperability, improve mutual understanding, and exchange best practices and procedures for multi-faceted maritime operations between both navies.
- The exercise will showcase the capabilities of India’s indigenously constructed naval ships and aircraft.
- SLINEX series of exercise exemplifies the deep engagement between India and Sri Lanka which has strengthened mutual cooperation in the maritime domain.
- The exercise is being conducted in a non-contact ‘at-sea-only’ format in the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It is the first of four anti-submarine Kamorta-class stealth corvettes which have been built for the Indian Navy.
- The Kamorta Class indigenous Anti-submarine Warfare (ASW) corvettes are being built by Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers (GRSE).
- The Kamorta Class succeeds in the Kora-Class guided-missile corvettes that are in service with the Indian Navy.
- The Kamorta Class corvettes will serve as the frontline warships for the Indian Navy.
- The primary task of the Kamorta Class will be ASW, while the vessels will also be deployed in anti-surface warfare (AsuW) and anti-air warfare (AAW).
- It is an indigenously-built anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette.
- It is the third of the four Kamorta-class corvettes being built under Project 28.
- It is designed by the Directorate of Naval Design and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) in Kolkata.
- It is India’s first major warship to have a superstructure of carbon fiber composite material resulting in improved stealth features, lower top weight and maintenance costs.