Why in news?
Recently, the Union Ministers of Human Resource Department and Housing & Urban Affairs have launched an initiative called ‘The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)’.
About The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)
- It is a first-of-its-kind programme for providing internship opportunities to fresh graduates in all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Smart Cities across the country.
- It is aligned with the vision of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to harness the potential of the youth in nation-building.
- It will be instrumental in laying the foundation of New India as it will provide practical experience to our students and will help infuse fresh ideas and innovative thinking into the working of Urban Local Bodies and smart cities.
- It will provide access to internship opportunities through 4400 Urban local bodies and smart cities pan India.
- It will give an opportunity to youth to generate news ideas to reform Urban local bodies by modern techniques and innovative methods.
- It would help enhance the value-to-market of India’s graduates and help create a potential talent pool in diverse fields like urban planning, transport engineering, environment, municipal finance etc. thus not only catalyzing creation of prospective city managers but also talented private/ non-government sector professionals.
- It is also an important stepping stone for fulfillment of MHRD and AICTE’s goal of 1 crore successful internships by the year 2025.
- The technical support for the platform shall be anchored by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the programmatic non-technical support shall be anchored by MoHUA.