Context: The Vice-President of India announced Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2020.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Madras, Bombay and Delhi has bagged the top three positions in ARIIA.
About ARIIA: It is an initiative of the Ministry of Education to systematically rank higher education institutions and universities on indicators related to innovation.
Criteria for ranking:
- It is done in six categories:
- In centrally-funded institutes of national importance: IIT at Madras, Bombay and Delhi bagged the top three positions and IISc Bangalore and IIT Kharagpur have bagged the fourth and fifth ranks, respectively.
- The Institute of Chemical Technology, Maharashtra, has been ranked top among state-funded universities, followed by Punjab University and Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University.
- Among state-funded autonomous institutes, College of Engineering, Pune, has bagged the first rank followed by PES College of Engineering, Karnataka, and Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu.
- The Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Odisha, has been ranked at the top among private universities, followed by SRM Institute of Science and Technology and Vellore Institute of Technology, both in Tamil Nadu.
- Women-only higher educational institutions: Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women bagged the top prize in the category.