- Every year on August 7 is observed to recognise the contribution and hard work of handloom weavers.
- In 2015: August 7 was first declared as National Handloom Day.
- Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development: Smt Smriti Irani.
About the day
- August 7 was selected as National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched by freedom fighters on this day in 1905 in the Calcutta Town hall to protest against the partition of Bengal by the British Government.
Recent Karnataka Government Initiatives:
- Flipkart has signed an MoU with the Karnataka govt of which state to Promote local art, craft and handlooms.
- Karnataka govt has launched the scheme Weavers Sammaan Yojana, to provide annual financial aid of Rs 2000 to handloom weavers.
- Flipkart has signed an MoU with the Gujarat State Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd (GSHHDC) for the promotion of local handicrafts.
- The National Handloom Expo 2020 will be held in -Bhubaneswar.
- Awards: sant kabirAwards releated to handloom.