Context: Recently, the 6th International Day of Yoga was celebrated across the country through Digital Media on 21st June.
About International Day of Yoga
- The United Nations proclaimed June 21 as International Day of Yoga by passing a resolution on December 11, 2014, during the 69th session of the General Assembly.
- The Yoga Day celebrations in 2015 at Rajpath in New Delhi, with Prime Minister and other dignitaries in attendance, had created two Guinness World Records, performing around 21 yoga asanas.
- The theme for International Day of Yoga 2020 is “Yoga for Health – Yoga at Home”.
- The word ‘yoga’ is derived from Sanskrit and means to join or to unite, symbolising the union of a person’s body and consciousness.
- Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India.
- The draft resolution establishing the International Day of Yoga was proposed by India and endorsed by a record 175 member states.