Context: Recently, the Union Home Minister distributed 100 electric potter wheels to 100 trained artisans under the ‘Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana’.
About Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana
- It is an initiative of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- Its targetted beneficiaries are potters from several states such as Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, J&K, Haryana, West Bengal, Assam, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Telangana and Bihar.
- Under the scheme, the KVIC also provides equipment like blunger and pug mills for mixing clay for making pottery products.
Significance of Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana
- It seeks to empower and associate the marginalized potters’ community with India’s quest to become “Aatmanirbhar”.
- It aims at strengthening the marginalized potters’ community by incorporating technology to improve productivity.
- It will play a vital role in reviving the traditional art of pottery.
- It aims to provide a platform for selling of potters’ products, including tie-up with the Railways and proper marketing channels.