Why in News?
Recently, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued red alert for Mumbai, Thane, Palghar, Raigad, Dhule, Nandurbar and Nashik districts due to the possibility of a severe cyclonic storm ‘Nisarga’.
About Cyclonic Storm Nisarga
- It could be the first tropical cyclone in 129 years to hit Maharashtra in the month of June.
- Nisarga is a name given by Bangladesh, one of the 13 countries that will take turns in naming future cyclones that form over the North Indian Ocean.
- Nisarga means ‘nature’ in Bengali language.
- Nisarga is the first moniker on a list of new cyclone names that take effect this year.
- Nisarga will be the second cyclonic storm of the 2020 North Indian Ocean cyclone season after Cyclone Amphan.