Why in news?
Recently, the Union Minister of Rural Development, Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare and Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar chairs the 21st meeting of Central Employment Guarantee Council.
- Scaling up of works under Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS), Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G), Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) and National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) discussed
- The Minister emphasised that the challenge of COVID-19 must be utilized as an opportunity to strengthen rural infrastructure, create employment in rural areas and facilitate diversification of rural livelihoods
About Central Employment Guarantee Council
- It is constituted under Section 10 of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (Mahatma Gandhi NREGA), 2005.
- The tenure of the members is 1 year and the Union Minister of Rural Development is the chairman of the meeting.
- It is responsible for a central monitoring and evaluation system in MGNREGA.