Context: Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh condoled the sad demise of Mahavir Chakra Recipient Brigadier Manjit Singh (78) who passed away.
More about news
- Former Punjab Chief Minister, Brigadier Manjit Singh was awarded Mahavir Chakra (Country’s Second Highest Gallantry Award) on October 19, 1987, for his extraordinary valour at Sri Lanka with Indian Peace Keeping Force.
- He has entrusted the task to establish a link up with Jaffna Fort, along Western Pincer in the face of all-out efforts by the militants to thwart their nefarious designs.
- Brigadier Manjit Singh with just two companies of Rajput Rifles broke through the desperate cordon of the militants and successfully established a link-up with para commandos operating from Jaffna Fort.
- Due to his leadership and demonstration of personal valour in the face of grave danger, the whole brigade was suddenly filled with elan and moved purposefully forward.
About Mahavir Chakra
- The Maha Vir Chakra is the second-highest military decoration in India, after the Param Vir Chakra.
- It is awarded for acts of conspicuous gallantry in the presence of the enemy, whether on land, at sea or in the air.
- It replaced the British Distinguished Service Order.