Context: Recently, the Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar launched the Sahakar Mitra Scheme.
About Sahakar Mitra Scheme
- It is a Scheme on Internship Programme (SIP) based on the Prime Minister’s vision of Atma Nirbhar Bharat (Self Reliant India).
- It will provide the young professionals an opportunity of practical exposure and learning from the working of National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) and cooperatives as a paid intern.
- It would also provide an opportunity to professionals from academic institutions to develop leadership and entrepreneurial roles through cooperatives as Farmers Producers Organizations (FPO).
- It is expected to assist cooperative institutions access new and innovative ideas of young professionals while the interns gain experience of working in the field giving confidence to be self-reliant.
- Under the scheme, professional graduates in disciplines such as Agriculture and allied areas,IT etc. will be eligible for internship.
- Professionals who are pursuing or have completed their MBA degrees in Agri-business, Cooperation, Finance, International Trade, Forestry, Rural Development, Project Management etc. will also be eligible.
- NCDC has earmarked funds for Sahakar Mitra paid internship program under which each intern will get financial support over a 4 months internship period.