Context: Punjab government decide to install a statue in the memory of Baba Sohan Bhakna, to mark the 150th birth anniversary of the legendary freedom fighter.
About Baba Sohan Bhakna:
- He was born (in January 1870) in his maternal village, Khotre Khurd, not far from his ancestral home, Bhakna, District Amritsar.
- Baba Sohan Singh was elected first President of ‘Indian Association of the Pacific Coast’ with Headquarters at Yugantar Ashram.
- He was the founding president of the Ghadar Party, and a leading member of the party involved in the Ghadar Conspiracy of 1915.
- Tried at the Lahore Conspiracy trial, Sohan Singh served sixteen years of a life sentence for his part in the conspiracy before he was released in 1930.
- He later worked closely with the Indian labour movement, devoting considerable time to the Kisan Sabha and the Communist Party of India.
- He spent more than 20 years in jails, including Cellular Jail in Andaman.
- Kartar Singh Sarabha was younger to Baba Bhakna, still the latter always took former’s advice and called Sarabha his leader.